Sunday, March 9, 2008

Two Things In Life You Can Be Sure Of.....Death and Taxes



But, if you live in our area of Pennsylvania, there are three things.....Death, Taxes and Your Electricity Going Out whenever there's any kind of a storm. The Post Office has a slogan that says, Neither snow nor rain nor heat, yada, yada, yada. Well, our electric company has a similar slogan that says, Whenever there's snow, or rain, or sleet, or wind, or heat, or hail, we can assure you that you will lose your power. We moved here twenty-two years ago and, after losing our power a half a dozen times, I wrote a letter to the newspaper editor saying exactly what I said above. It was published and I looked at it today and here I am two decades later saying the same thing. It's just unbelievable.


I don't get it. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in the dark ages since they can't seem to keep the power going in inclement weather. Our scenario is even worse because we have private well and private septic so when the power goes out, not only do we not have electricity, but we also don't have water and thus the use of toilets. I surely don't know what the answer is but I just love venting about it.


And when you don't have electricity, you don't have cable and if you don't have cable, you don't have the use of the computer and on and on and on. When I see those shows on TV showing people roughing it, I know that's not for me. Yet our electric company forces me to live this way at least a dozen times a year. Well, at least I have a computer tonight to tell you all about it. Tomorrow I might not as they're predicting a little wind in the area!!!!

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

We seem to lost our power regularly too. A transformer box near us has gotten hit so many times by lightning.....you would think maybe they should move it. DUH!

And since our neighborhood is sort of a peninsula sticking into a 4000-acre state preserve, needless to say, we are at the end of the "route" when it comes to getting fixed.

I keep my laptop fully charged so at least I can use dial-up if we have no electricity. The phones never seem to go out.