Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter




I know, I know, I know. Remember, I went to 12 years of Catholic schools. So what do I know? I know that Easter is the most important religious day for all Christians because it is the day that celebrates the resurrection of Christ. And if you didn't know this because I'm telling you, you surely remember it from Mel Gibson's movie The Passion of Christ. Since that movie grossed almost one billion dollars, I'm assuming most people saw it.

Easter was always a fun time for me when the kids were growing up as I was big on coloring eggs and making up great Easter baskets. I remember one year filling up Liz' basket with everything that said New Kids on the Block on it. Michael's baskets, of course, were usually filled with video games. Unfortunately for me, when I was growing up, my mother was big on Easter bonnets. I have more pictures of me with ugly hats on than I care to remember. But before you think that she didn't get us baskets filled with candy, think again. She was great at this stuff and that's where I learned my craft.

So I digress. We all know the real importance of Easter this year. It means I can eat chocolate again, the thing I gave up for Lent. So where did this sacrifice get me. Initially I lost at least 5 pounds because of it. But then I started to make up for the loss of chocolate by eating muffins and cake. Not really a good thing and actually worse than the chocolate because it takes more cake and muffins to satisfy a sweet tooth than a piece of chocolate does. So I quickly had to get this in check before I gained back those 5 pounds. So what did I learn? I learned that a chocolate a day keeps the cravings away and I'm probably better off eating a piece of chocolate candy than I am eating a box of donuts.

And lest anyone thinks I'm being irreverent with this blog, think again. I'm only joking as surely I know that the real meaning of Easter is about everything good and holy. I can't even joke about it because it's something that's ingrained in my being from all those years of being taught by the nuns of St. Cecilia's and Bishop McDonnell's. So on this holiest of holy days in the Christian calendar, I say to you "Happy Easter" and may the Easter bunny bring you all that you crave.

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

oops, I left my comment on yesterday's entry!