Monday, March 3, 2008

Why Am I Always "Late to the Party"?

All I can say is "thank goodness for Netflix." Because of this great concept, I'm able to catch up on those TV shows that I missed during their premier seasons. I've been a member, almost since its inception, having been incensed by the way Blockbuster was raping their customers with late fees on a daily basis. I got great satisfaction when Blockbuster tried to copy the Netflix strategy and really couldn't compete.

My first catch up took place with a show that Entertainment Weekly referred to as "The Best Show On TV That You Haven't Seen" and that was Friday Night Lights. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this show. It is so much better than the original movie and the casting is far superior -- even though a few of the cast members in the movie do appear on the TV show. I even bought the DVD for my son for Christmas, in the hopes that I could win over another viewer but, as yet, he's one of those "who isn't watching it". The writers' strike has stopped production on this show and there's rumors that it might be cancelled. I would be devastated if this happens as it's the one show I look forward to watching every week.

The next show that I didn't watch at its inception was Heroes. The premise just didn't appeal to me....super powers given to people who can save the world. It's just not my cup of tea. But, my son insisted that it was one of the best things he's ever seen so, needless to say, I had to check it out. Once again, I became an immediate fan and caught up with every past episode before this new season had even started. This is one show that I know there's no chance of it being canceled because it's just that good and it has tons of followers.

Similar to most people of my generation, I tend to gravitate towards the main TV channels, CBS, ABC and NBC, but, as of late, I'm finding that some of the best shows are on FX, HBO, SHOWTIME and other similar channels. It's no surprise, based on this, that I missed out on one of the best shows ever to be shown on a television set and that would be Damages. This is one that was found by my BFF Pat. Since we basically like all of the same things, I figured I would have to check this one out. Unfortunately, it wasn't being offered by Netflix yet but I was able to find a site where I could download all of the previous episodes. As soon as I started, I was transfixed. First of all, Glenn Close has the lead in this show playing a high powered attorney who runs her own firm. The fact alone that Glenn Close would associate herself with a television show should have been impetus enough for me to watch it from the beginning. The first episode starts off which someone being questioned by the police. So begins the mystery that will keep you guessing until the last episode. Apparently, they will have a different case/mystery that will wrap up in the season finale.

And lastly, this brings me to my newest find, Nip Tuck. This was a show I had heard a lot about but had shied away from because of all the cutting and blood. But, once again, Pat kept talking and talking about it so I made it my business to watch one or two episodes this season. That was enough to get me hooked. I immediately went to my other BFF, Netflix, and ordered the first season. Since I was already fully enmeshed in this current season, it was fun to go back and watch how it all started. This show already has a few seasons of production under its belt so it will be awhile before I get fully caught up.

I have a few more shows that I've heard raves about but haven't watched and I'm looking foward to The Wire, Rome and The Tudors. The first two I already have in the house so I just have to get my hands on The Tudors. Sometimes I wonder how I'm going to find the time to watch all of these shows. Yesterday, my husband commented that with all the channels on TV, he can never find anything good to watch. I looked at him like he was crazy and said that unfortunately I find too much I want to watch.

I think from now on I should just watch all of these new shows when they first hit the airwaves so I'm not always finding myself behind the eight ball. So forgive me now while I leave you to watch Disc 3 of Season 1 of Nip tuck........

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

I have watched "Nip/Tuck" since season 2. Well, I watched the beginning of Season 2, then recorded it because FX was also showing season 1 and I had to get caught up. It has gotten progressively weirder but I still love it.

"Friday Night Lights" just OUTSTANDINGLY wonderful.

"Damages" - is Glen Close evil or what? I am just not sure of the casting of the young female attorney. She is too sweet looking or something. But I still watch it.

Do you watch "The Closer"? I absolutely LOVE that show.

I have no interest in "The Wire" or "Heroes", but many people are hooked on them, for sure.

TheReader23 said...

JoAnn --

I wish I could convince you to watch Heroes but, we all know, you can't be convinced to do anything you don't want to. lol I love it that you love Friday Night Lights though.

Nancy