Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My Guilty Pleasures

During the recent writers' strike, everyone was concerned that there would be nothing to watch on TV and we might all be relegated to watch those dreaded "Reality" TV shows. Well, I said, "Bring It On" because I just love my reality TV. I never really got that involved in the original MTV pioneer of reality TV, The Real World or the follow up to that, Road Rules, although I was very up on some of the houseguests just from listening to my son and daughter talk about them like they knew them.

My first real introduction came in the form of a show where 16 contestants were stranded on an island off the coast of Borneo for 39 days and the last one standing was the winner. I remember seeing the promos for this show and thinking that I would watch the first episode but there was no way I could imagine a show like this making it. I couldn't have been more wrong as this show has become the landmark of all reality TV. Thus is the power of Survivor. With the latest episode, Fans vs. Favorites, it marks the 16th season of this highly rated show. It's a show I always look forward to and a show I never miss. One wonders how they can maintain an audience, while the premise stays the same, yet they seem successful at it. Recently, they have upped the ante on the challenges and some of them have been downright physical to the point of being dangerous. And yet, I continue to watch as "Thursday" is "Survivor Night".

There's another favorite of mine that always begins on fourth of July weekend or thereabouts. This is probably my most guilty pleasure and one in which I invest way too much of my time. The problem with Big Brother is that not only is it on three times a week, but you can watch live feeds 24/7 and, for the past two seasons, Showtime airs it live for three straight hours each evening from midnight to 3AM. Last season was the first time I watched the live feed and it will be the last time because I found myself addicted to it and basically wasted so much time where I could have been doing something much better. As a result of the writers' strike, CBS decided that they would take advantage of this opening in their lineup and air, for the very first time, a winter edition of Big Brother known as Big Brother -- Till Death Do Us Part. For the first time, the houseguests will participate as couples -- couples who have never met before entering the house. This is the one thing I like about Big Brother. They say to "expect the unexpected" and they never disappoint this viewer.


And then there's the "Trumpster" with his highly self-touted show "The Apprentice". This season it's been upgraded to "Celebrity Apprentice" and I use that world "upgraded" very loosely. I actually never thought I would like a celebrity edition and yet I find I might like it even more than the original. It's fun to see these stars being fired by "The Donald". Maybe they can get a glimpse of what it's like to be in the real world. This is another show to which I've been tuned into since its inception. I love the challenges and only wish this had been around when I was in the business world. If this had been the case, as they say in poker, "Ship It", because, hands down, I would have won and, by now, I'd be firing Donald Trump.


Perhaps the cadillac of all reality shows, and the one that involves a tremendous amount of talent on the part of its contestants, is Project Runway. Again, it's another show I've been attached to since the very beginning. The huge draw towards believability is Heidi Klum, as the moderator, who is probably one of the most beautiful people I've ever seen. It's funny to think that years ago, it was all of these supermodels whose faces were seen on the covers of Vogue and Cosmopolitan. Now it's TV and movie stars who have replaced these models, since they obviously sell more magazine copies than the unknown model would have. The season finale culminates with the final three showing their "lines" at Bryant Park during Fashion Week. For a designer, this is the "ultimate" and something that would have been impossible before this show came to be.

So, while I felt bad that people were out of work and the "show couldn't go on", as far as I'm concerned, it didn't even put a dent in my TV watching. As a matter of fact, I considered it a nice reprieve from all those incessant sitcoms and crime dramas. It gave me the ability to indulge myself in my reality TV and all of my Netflix offerings. Too bad the strike is over.

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Nancy, I would love to see you and the Donald go head to head. I have no doubt that you would emerge as the victor!

I cannot believe that this latest incarnation of Apprentice is FOURTH (last) in its time slot (out of the four major networks). That means that re-runs, etc are beating this show, yet NBC still has signed him on for another season. Go figure. I have not watched it for a couple of years. And I thinjk I have watched maybe ten episodes of "Survivor" in total. Reality shows are just not my cuppa.

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF: "Dancing with the Stars" and "Top Chef". I do not like infighting, so Top Chef is my least favorite of these two that I watch. I love DWTS because everyone is so supportive of each other, there is no backbiting, no nastiness.

Nat said...

road rage? ahahahaha.

"road rules"

enjoyable show to watch back in the day, although i haven't seen it in forever.