Friday, May 30, 2008

WSOP 2008 BEGINS TODAY!!!!



JoAnn, I will advise you right now to stop reading because WSOP stands for World Series of Poker and I know how much you just love my blog entries about poker. With 53 events leading up to the main event, it is to poker what the Indianapolis 500 is to race car driving. It is the finale of the entire poker season. It is the largest and most prestigious poker event in the world. Since the WSOP is owned by Harrah's, all of the events take place at the Rio Hotel in Vegas (a Harrah's owned hotel), pictured here. Pokernews has been given the rights to do the media coverage for the entire series and this picture of the Rio is courtesy of them.

Michael arrived in Vegas two days ago and, as I type this, is playing in Event #1 -- a $10,000 buyin Pot Limit tournament. According to Pokernews, there were 352 players entered and right now there are 224 left. The top 36 players get paid with 1st place taking away the grand prize of $794,112. As much as the money is terrific, if you win one of these events, you also win a WSOP bracelet -- something coveted by all poker players. I don't know that it's so much that you would wear it but some of your success in tournament poker is measured by how many bracelets you have won. So suffice it to say that everyone playing this year has dreams of winning this prize.

Pat and I are leaving for Vegas next Thursday and will be playing in Event #15, the Ladies' No Limit Holdem Event. We're staying at the Bellagio which is our favorite hotel in Vegas. Liz and Bryan will also be there arriving on Wednesday. This should be their last real vacation before the baby arrives. Needless to say, we're all looking forward to it.

So stay tuned.....hopefully I'll be reporting some good news in these next seven weeks.

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Had to read this, of course. I am not un-interested. I like to know how Michael does. And even watch him play online. I just don't like a lot of poker details. LOL

I also have no desire to EVER visit Las Vegas. Way too much neon for me. But I hope you have fun and WIN BIG! All of you.