Saturday, May 24, 2008

It's My FSIL's Birthday Today!!!!



If you're an avid reader of my blog, then you already know that FSIL stands for Favorite Son-In-Law, a title vicariously thrown out there because he's my only son-in-law. I think as a mother, and, in my case as a stepmother, you're always worried about the guy your daughter will marry. Before Liz met Bryan, there were a string of other eligible bachelors, all of which I felt didn't deserve someone like Liz in their life. Enter Bryan.......he was everything we could have wished for and more and this is the story that sealed the deal for me.

After college, Liz had taken a job with a telecommunications firm in the Philadelphia area. She was still dating her old boyfriend from Stonehill College days. He, however, lived in Syracuse so their's became a long distance relationship. After work, Liz would go to happy hours or other company functions and she began to mention someone named Bryan. It was nothing out of the ordinary but just some nice and very funny guy at work. Hmmmm I thought. Could this be the guy to end her long distance relationship? Could I be that lucky? Not that I didn't like her other boyfriend because I did. It's just that he wasn't right for her.

Then there was a casual date to a movie after work and then another one. This last one occurred close to our home which was over an hour away from where they worked and where he lived. I remember asking Liz why he was driving all the way here to go to the movies when he would then have to drive all the way back home afterwards. Her response was that he didn't want me driving all that way home alone if we went to the movies closer to work. This was sounding better and better to me -- someone who actually cared about her well-being; someone who was actually putting her first; someone who was most definitely "into her" as in "He's just not into you." In Bryan's case, he apparently was.

Then Liz had to have foot surgery and Bryan was going to visit her that evening here at home. This would be the first time we had ever met him. I was so nervous hoping I was going to like him when in walks this tall, good looking guy. You would think that would be the best part but it wasn't. He had in his hand a teddy bear. Still not the best part. The teddy bear's foot was all bandaged up just like Liz' foot was. Well right there and then I knew he was a keeper. That was the first of many thoughtful things this guy has done for our daughter.

In my wildest dreams, he has far surpassed anything I ever would have hoped for. It's just such a comforting feeling going to bed each night knowing that she's safe and loved. In the three years of their marriage, Bryan has become such an integral part of our family that I actually can't remember when he wasn't a part of it. He has managed to have spectacular relationships with everyone in Liz' family and that's no easy feat I'm sure. Just the fact that he won me over is amazing enough.

I think one of the best things about Bryan is that he's something for everyone. No matter what your age, what your sex or what you're interested in, Bryan's your guy. He gets along with everyone. He has befriended all of Liz' friends on Long Island and one of them ended up being the best man at their wedding. He's a great helper with anything you ask of him and, since they purchased their house, he has become quite handy. He even just finished building a closet in the baby's room all on his own. If Liz or I come up with an idea for their house, he always tries to accommodate us......or should I say appease us. Bryan is also an avid golfer as seen here in this picture. Most people would be satisfied with a hole in one in the actual hole. Bryan prefers to take them to the forehead.

I could write a book extolling all of his virtues and maybe someday I will. But for now, I want to wish my absolute favorite son-in-law the happiest birthday ever. When he celebrates his birthday next year, there will be one new person in this world wishing him a happy birthday as well.......his son!!

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BRYAN!!!!!

What a nice tribute to your FSIL, Nancy! Quite a guy.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. This is now my favorite blog... even though it's time at the top will be short, as one written around August 20th of this year will surely trump it.

FSIL