Friday, May 16, 2008

And It's.......David versus David

The last time I remember a David being in a battle, it was versus Goliath. This time, the stakes are not quite as high but it will be a battle just the same.

As Season 7 comes to a close, we end up with quite a great final two.....David Cook and David Archuletta. Since my favorite, Michael Johns, was sent home well before his time, I now have to root for David Cook even though I believe that David Archuletta is the crowd favorite. He's a young 17 year old and has the vote of all the youngsters of America and they are the ones who do most of the voting. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't win.

I honestly believe, however, that sometimes it's better not to be the winner because then you're not tied to their record company and forced to do music you really don't want to do. A perfect case in point is Daughtry, who didn't win and is a star in his own right now. He didn't have anyone telling him what to do.....he just did his own thing and did it well. I think David Cook could be a star whether he wins or not. The same probably holds true for the other David which means that the finale has two of the best and most talented singers from which to choose.

David Cook has something different though. When he sings, I get the chills. David Archuletta is quite the singer and has a great voice but his humbling, naive smile is beginning to get to me. And the fact that he has a stage father really turns me off. I can just see him riding on David's fame and his money as well.

No matter who wins on Tuesday, they're both going to have great careers ahead of them. Brandon Schaefer, of poker fame and great friend of Michael's, mentioned to me that the judges should pick one singer each week and give them "immunity" which would keep American Idol from becoming a popularity contest. When you think of it, this idea sounds really good and might even make the singers perform better just to win this coveted weekly prize.

I also think, to make the future seasons better, they need to do away with some of the stars they bring on the show. Who needs to see a 17 year old kid singing Dolly Parton or Neil Diamond songs? It's almost as bad as making a rocker sing an Andrew Lloyd Webber song. The choices of these stars for a "young" show is horrendous. This season was probably the worst I've ever seen as it pertains to song choices forced upon them. Most of the time, they were singing songs they had never heard before, most of which were popular long before they were born. It's no wonder that so many of them forgot the lyrics while they were on stage.

One thing I know for sure is that this time, I am definitely going to vote. I complain every time when my favorite doesn't win yet I usually forget to vote. So this time, I am going to do my part and cast as many votes as possible for David Cook. Who knows? It could be my vote that makes him the winner!

2 comments:

Schaefer said...

Yoooo!!! It was me who brought up the idea of immunity!!! A little credit here! =)

TheReader23 said...

Ha ha.....when I typed that, I wasn't sure who it was. Now I will definitely give credit where credit is due.