Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Prodigal Brother Returns

It's always exciting to get some out of town guests especially when it's one of my brothers. My brother Bobby is vacationing in New York this week traveling here from the great state of Washington. Bobby is my brother who is closest in age to me having been born 19 months after I was so, growing up, we were inseparable. Sadly enough for me, he relocated to the West Coast in the 70's and has remained there since. And it's not just that he relocated there that's the bone of contention....all three of my brothers did!! Well at least I was the loyal one staying back here on the east coast where my roots are. I always kid them about this.

He's here with his wife Pam and two other couples...his best friends, also from Spokane, Patty and Bill Reeves, and other close friends of his, Linda and Sam. They have a fun-filled week lined up and one of the things on their agenda was to have dinner in "Little Italy". Since we're less than two hours away from NYC, I drove in to have dinner with them and, since Michael was still home, he was able to join us. Liz and Bryan both work in the city so they came as well. So it was ten of us for dinner.

When Liz was growing up on Long Island, one of her close friends, Rosanna, had parents who owned a restaurant in Little Italy. So, whenever we want some good Italian food, we always go to their restaurant. It's always great to know the owner because you get such great service. I have to say the food at their restaurant never disappoints. It's nothing short of spectacular. We had ten different entrees and everyone enjoyed their meal starting with the appetizers and ending with some terrific cappuccino. Just in case you're ever looking for a great place to eat in Little Italy, I highly recommend Lunella at 173 Mulberry Street....and tell the owner Nancy sent you.

After listening to the week they had planned, I almost felt like staying with them. They're seeing Jersey Boys tomorrow night, the Yankee/Mets game on Saturday, touring our old stomping grounds in Greenpoint on Thursday and squeezing in The Statue of Liberty, The Empire State Building and all the other great spots in the city. For a city boy who moved out West, he's playing the role of a typical tourist this week and enjoying every minute of it. Of course, the highlight of the trip will undoubtedly be when he has egg creams on Manhattan Avenue. Wish I could be there for that.

I have to say it was a little sad saying good-bye to him after dinner last night. I kept on turning around after he walked away to look at him one more time. It's just hard to be so close to someone and know that you might not see them again for awhile. I guess it's my turn now to make a trip to Spokane. That's definitely not as exciting as a trip to New York City but I'll take a trip to visit my family over excitement any old time.

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

Awwww, what a sweet post. It's a shame that your three brothers defected to the "wrong" coast, but at least they do not live in CA!

You must miss them so much. Sorry, my friend.

TheReader23 said...

Yeah, they all stink for doing that to me.

Schaefer said...

What you reallllly should do is have a family reunion in Seattle. It's a lot more fun than Spokane and you'll get to see me! Win-win, obviously.

TheReader23 said...

Definitely +EV. Thanks so much for reading Brandon.

TR23