Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Tree Grows In.......Pennsylvania

Every year, I wait for this tree to bloom as it is the true sign of Spring for me. It is also the first tree in our yard to bloom. You have to capture a picture of it right away as the blossoms shed very quickly.

This tree is also my very favorite. It's a cherry tree and it was planted so that whenever I looked out my kitchen window I would see it. I know the exact age of this tree as I received it as a gift from my friends in 1992...the year my father died. This was something they had planted in my yard so each year it bloomed, I would be reminded of another favorite of mine and probably my most favorite person ever. I certainly don't need a tree to remind me of my father but each year this gift brings such a smile to my face when the pink flowers appear.

We certainly didn't have many trees in Brooklyn where I grew up and my father used to love to come here and sit on the deck and appreciate all the trees surrounding him. I could write stories upon stories about this great man who I called Dad but there isn't enough room in any blog entry to tell them all. I often wonder how I cound ever move from this house and leave this tree behind. I've even thought about burying Sarah's ashes (our beloved border collie) under this tree but, if we moved, I know I couldn't leave both.

So while the trees didn't grow much in Brooklyn, they're certainly alive and well here in Pennsylvania.

No comments: