Sunday, April 6, 2008

The "Birthday" Weekend


Since our birthday girl now lives in New York, it's hard for us to see her on her birthday. As a result, we planned to celebrate on Saturday with dinner out, preceded by the opening of presents, of course. My having to work all day Saturday kind of put a kink into our plans but we still managed to work it out. The plan was for Bryan and Liz to arrive before noon and I would get home prior to 5PM.

In addition to celebrating her birthday, we also got to celebrate something else as the happy couple were going to find out the sex of their baby on Saturday morning. "Don't call me on the phone and give me the news that way", I told them...I want to hear it in person. I was in my office at 11:30AM and they stopped in on the way to our house to give me the news. And here it is .......................................

That's right -- as Bob and Michael have said, another lefty first baseman is being born. As Bryan says, we will now have our first shortstop in the family. Since my brother Michael doesn't read this blog, he can't refute this as he would surely say that he was the first shortstop in the family. You might ask why he doesn't read it. His response to me was that he doesn't have time for "mundane minutia".

Well, getting back to the weekend. It's so exciting for us to know the sex of the baby as it enables Liz and I to begin the nursery decorating plans. She has so many great ideas and I can't wait to see them come into fruition.....or to pay for them to come into fruition while Bryan does most of the hard work.

Speaking of paying, it easily segues back to the birthday presents. As predicted, she was screaming as she opened each one. The bad news for her was that she wasn't able to open any presents until I got home from work. I had ten gift bags perched on the fireplace just to tease her. She only called me once while I was working to ask me when I'd be home. I couldn't have been in the door 5 minutes before the presentation began. What were her favorite gifts? I know my friends will be asking this question. Hmmmmm......I think I'd have to say the Gucci shoes followed a close second by the David Yurman necklace. The other eight bags were filled with many different maternity outfits that don't even look like maternity outfits any longer. As the saying goes, "these are not your mother's maternity clothes." I don't even know if there is such a saying as I think I just made it up.

We had dinner at an Italian restaurant called Amici Milano in the Chambersburg section of Trenton. I know this probably sounds scary as Trenton is considered the 4th most dangerous city in the United States but there is this little Italian section right in the middle and there must be over twenty-five different restaurants there. This is one of our favorites....small, quaint, great food, nice ambiance and the perfect place for a birthday dinner.

So all in all, it was the perfect birthday celebration. Our girl turned 32 and she's about to become a mother. It doesn't get much better than that.

Tomorrow FF Linda and I are finally going to the movies again. She knows I found out the sex of the baby and she wants me to surprise her when I see her. I plan on wearing a powder blue turtleneck and a light blue plaid Burberry scarf. Let's see if she realizes the significance as soon as she sees me. I just hope she doesn't read this blog before she leaves her house as it will spoil the surprise. But, since I know she loves my "mundane minutia", my plan might be foiled.

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

What a nice day, in every way!!!

Now that was a GREAT post, my dear.

L,J

Nat said...

This is the best blog on the internet.

TheReader23 said...

Nat --

You are so sweet!!! Thank you.