Sunday, February 3, 2008

SUPER BOWL XLII


Today's post will be done in three stages....BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER....so I can publish my thoughts as the game is progressing. And let's face it, we're just as interested in the pregame show, the halftime show and the commercials as we are in the actual game.

BEFORE

This year, however, is a special year as "my" team will be playing in the Super Bowl. Having lived in New York for 36 years, the Giants have been my team of choice since I was a little girl. I use the word "choice" very loosely, however, as I really did not have a choice in picking a football team since I grew up with a father and *three brothers, who were all diehard Giant fans. As if this wasn't bad enough, I ended up marrying the world's biggest Giant fan who then turned our kids into Giant fans. If the Giants can win today, it will be the third Super Bowl win for them having beaten the Broncos following the 1986 season and the Bills following the 1990 season. They failed to beat the Ravens to close out the 2000 season. Needless to say, the odds are not in their favor coming up against the Patriots, who haven't lost a game all season, but with a spread of 12 points, I think they'll definitely cover.

*EDIT: I am hereby forced to edit one of my own blogs. After reading the above, one of my brothers has sent me this email.........I have a correction to make (and it's not even of a grammatical nature). Your youngest brother was never, and will never be a Giant fan. So he did not get to bathe in the thrill of the victory. Yeah, it is true. Kelly was a Redskin fan early on. Then he became a 49ers fan when he lived in S.F. Now he's a Bears fan. No loyalty.

Unfortunately, I am not in any football pools for this game. My brother Kelly did not come through as his contact is no longer doing it. I used to get added enjoyment in checking all those boxes at the end of each quarter with the hope of winning....no matter how small the amount might be.

It was nice to see Alicia Keys in the pregame show singing one of my favorite songs "No One". It's probably my "most played" song on my Ipod. I see that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are the featured performers for the halftime show. I have one question.....who the heck is Tom Petty? I'm sure he's someone famous but why do I, someone who is very up on pop culture and music, etc., know nothing about him. I admit to having heard the name before but I have no idea what they sing. When I think back to past halftime shows featuring the Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Prince, Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder -- need I go on -- this just seems to pale in comparison. Well, I hope my doubts are wrong about this one. And aren't you so excited that you'll get to read these thoughts of mine when you read the DURING section of this blog?

DURING

Well, I have one word for Jordin Sparks, winner of 2007 American Idol and singer of this year's National Anthem......WOW. That was right up there with the Whitney Houston rendition. Her father, a former Giant, must have been very proud.

End of 1st quarter -- Giants 3 Patriots 0 -- Looking good

End of second quarter -- Patriots 7 Giants 3. Giants have come to play and have been all over Brady. Anyone who picked the over in the under/over will probably be out of luck today.

HALFTIME SHOW -- Are you kidding? This is a great opportunity for anyone having a party to socialize with their guests because they surely won't be watching this show. What an incredible disappointment.

End of third quarter -- Patriots 7 Giants 3....Come on Giants!!!!

OMG, OMG.....WE ARE GOING CRAZY!!!!! 29 seconds left....Giants 17 Patriots 14

GIANTS WIN!!!! GIANTS WIN!!!!! GIANTS WIN!!!!!
I just wish my father was still alive to witness this.

AFTER

I'm actually hoarse right now from cheering and screaming. Our poor dog has hidden under the bed because she's just not used to this much noise. Our son is in Brazil at Carnival and was texting and calling us all during the entire game. He called when there were 10 seconds left so he was able to hear them win.

It's just so exciting when your team wins and to win in such an exciting game makes it so much more special. So it was a very successful and enjoyable Super Bowl for this family. As Super Bowl XLII comes to a close, I want to thank the New York Giants for giving their fans such a great season.

COMMERCIAL WINNERS --

#1 -- Budweiser Clydesdale horse with the dalmation

#2 -- Gatorade commercial with the Black Lab

#3 -- Bud Light Cheese Ball

#4 -- Pepsi Max

#5 -- G2 Gator just because it featured Derek Jeter

And Kudos to Doritos for kickstarting the career of Kina Grannis, a 22-year-old songwriter, who won a contest to sing in a commercial during the first quarter of the game. I've already purchased her song, Message from your Heart, from Itunes and it sounds a little like a mixture of Colbie Caillat and Sarah Bareilles......two of my absolute favorites.

No comments: