Monday, February 25, 2008

I've Got Good News and I've Got Bad News...the Bad News First!!!


And the bad news is....I don't have a clue about picking Academy Award winners. Of the eight categories I predicted, I was four for four. I guess 50% isn't all that bad. The truth is that I pick what I "want" to win and not what "should" win. No Country For Old Men, clearly the most disturbing movie I've ever seen, walked away with most of the awards. Surprisingly enough, all of the acting awards went to foreigners....Daniel Day-Lewis, Best Actor, British, Javier Bardem, Best Supporting Actor, Spanish, Marion Cotillard, Best Actress, French, Tilda Swinton, Best Supporting Actress, British. So I hope no one claims that we are not an Equal Opportunity Academy Awards.


As usual, the real news of the night was who was wearing what and who looked the best and, most importantly, who looked the worst. My absolute favorite for best dressed was Heidi Klum,pictured here, followed by Katharine Heigl and Kerry Russell, not pictured here. The absolute worst dressed was the Best Supporting Actress winner, Tilda Swinton. I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone dressed so awful.....not even in the supermarket.


I think that the show, as usual, was uneventful bordering on boring. I thought John Stewart's material wasn't really that funny. A week ago, he could have blamed that on the writers' strike but, unfortunately, they were back in full force for the ceremony so the fault lies with them.

Now for the "good news." I wasn't paying as much attention as I might have had I not been playing in an online poker tournament at the same time as I was viewing the Oscars. For those of you familiar with the Pokerstars big Sunday tournament, commonly referred to as "the million", I went very deep getting knocked out in 18th place at 2:30AM after playing for ten hours. The fruits of my labor netted me $8,445.55. That's the most I've ever won in an online tournament. The most fun for me was that Michael didn't even know I was playing in this tournament until there were only about 150 people left....we had started with about 3200. That was a fun text message I sent him telling him this news. (He's in Omaha right now playing in a live tournament). He and all his friends immediately started watching and wishing me good luck in the chat box. I so appreciate all the support I get from all my "boys" while I'm playing. Thanks guys.

So as much as I would have liked to have gone eight for eight in my Oscar predictions, I'm happy with the way my night ended.....how about you?

No comments: