Thursday, February 14, 2008

Old Faithful

One might think, by looking at the picture to the left, that this post is going to be about the famous geyser in Yellowstone National Park. But, why would I write about Old Faithful when today is Valentine's Day? Wouldn't it make more sense to write about flowers or candy?

Well, you'll never guess the answer to that question so I'll tell you. I have someone in my life who's as faithful as "Old Faithful" is although he's not that old. This someone, without fail, has called me up to wish me a Happy Valentine's Day for as long as I can remember. No matter where he is and no matter how busy he is, I always get that call. Rather than leave you hanging, I'll tell you that this "geyser" is my baby brother Kelly. Ten years younger and always considered the baby of the family, we must have done something right to make him so considerate. As his only sister, he just
never forgets me. I hope he reads this and knows how very much I appreciate that call.

Now, before I get a call from my daughter asking me why a Valentine's Day post is about my brother and not about my husband, her father, I'll tell you about the other "Old Faithful" in my life. Yes, I have two. This one has been wishing me a Happy Valentine's Day for almost thirty years now. The difference between this one and my brother is that this one gives great gifts as well. I remember when we were first married and he would come home with flowers and candy and I would actually get mad. How hard is it to come up with flowers and candy? That's definitely not a very original gift. So the flowers and candy turned into jewelry and beautiful purses and this year, he walked in the door with a blue Tiffany's bag in his hand. Who cares what's inside....it's from Tiffanys.

My real present, however, arrives tomorrow when my son gets home from Brazil. So, in essence, you can get the flowers and the candy and the purses and whatever's in the Tiffany's bag. But the real gift from this "Old Faithful" are the children he's given me.....because they are my favorite Valentine's Day presents.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what was in the Tiffany Bag??????????

JoAnn said...

UGH - it just makes me SICK that these violent movies (and their stars, no matter how good) are honored. No wonder our country is in the state that it's in. Violence is celebrated.