Saturday, February 23, 2008

OSCAR PREDICTIONS



If you're a reader of this blog, then you probably know by now that I made an effort to see every picture nominated for an Academy Award. In doing so, I thought it would be easy to make my own predictions and see if the Academy got it right after all. What I failed to realize, however, is that the Best Actor and Best Actress nominees, along with the Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress nominees didn't necessarily have to appear in the films nominated for Best Picture. Therefore, a few of my predictions will have to be mere guesses -- such a pity. Next year I'll know better and it will be my quest to see all pictures given any awards at all!!!

So without further ado, here are my predictions/guesses for tomorrow night's 80th Annual Academy Award winners.

BEST PICTURE ------ Atonement
BEST ACTOR -------- Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
BEST ACTRESS ----- Julie Christie (Away From Here)*
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR ----- Javier Badem (No Country For Old Men)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS --- Cate Blanchett (I'm Not There)*
BEST DIRECTOR ---- The Coen Brothers (No Country For Old Men)
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY ---- Diablo Cody (Juno)
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY ---- Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood)

These are the main categories and the only ones I will be predicting. Those followed by an asterisk are merely guesses. I think Julie Christie will win because she is the sentimental favorite and I've also heard she was terrific in this role. I pick Cate Blanchett for her role as Bob Dylan because the Academy loves to award those who mimic other real life characters --remember Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles and Philip Seymour Hoffman as Truman Capote. The best picture award was a tough one as I think it could go either way between Atonement and There Will Be Blood although No Country For Old Men will probably win but I refuse to pick it because it was just so disturbing. The best actor category was easy as Daniel Day-Lewis will win this hands down.

So, can I go eight for eight.....only tomorrow night will tell. Until then, the balcony is closed.

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

Did you see that Diablo Cody is wearing Stuart Weitzman's million dollar, diamond-encrusted shoes?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/category?blogid=7&cat=1551

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you are blogging! It is very enjoyable to read.

JoAnn said...

So, missy.....5 out of 8 isn't bad. I am so glad that "Atonement" did not win Best Picture..... although, as I say all the time, I hate that violence is always rewarded by the Academy. Must be a lot of people voting who think this is okay. Not my kinda folks.

Did "Atonement" win ANYTHING?

TheReader23 said...

Well, missy, I was actually 4 for 8which is only 50%....that stinks. Atonement did win something but it was a minor award.