Thursday, February 28, 2008

American Idol Redux



I can't believe that only a week has gone by and already I have to revisit my prior American Idol winner prediction. After the performances of this week, the young 17 year old, David Archuleta, just might be this season's golden boy. While he's always been in the hunt and at the top of the radar, this week he clearly pulled away from the pack when he sang John Lennon's Imagine. I actually got the goosebumps while watching this performance. One of Michael's friends, Josh, who had seen it an hour or more before I did (he's in Phoenix), sent me an instant message telling me that he just witnessed a performance that gave him the chills. Since Josh is a 6'4" guy, I figured it had to be great to give him the chills. I immediately told him not to tell me which performance he was referring to so I could see if the same thing happened to me. Well, as soon as David Archuleta began singing, I knew this was what he had been talking about.

I went to You Tube to watch his previous performances, while in Hollywood, and during one song, Heaven by Bryan Adams, there was a background singer who was actually wiping her eyes while he was singing. She was so touched by him that she was crying. Can anything be more the sign of a great singer? Someone who can touch your heart in such a way as to give chills to a guy and bring tears to the eyes of another performer. And it's not just that his voice is so mellifluous. It's also the fact that he's so humble. When the judges compliment him, he is so thankful for their praise as if it's so unexpected. And this is clearly not an act. You can tell how genuine this kid is.

So, while I still think Michael Johns has a good chance, it's nice to see that there's some good competition going on this season. Unfortunately, I think all of the talent is on the male side as there are probably at least five good male singers in the competition versus perhaps two females who are good but don't stand a chance against the guys.

No comments: