Thursday, July 10, 2008

Coronado, CA, I Crown Thee #1500


Last night I was up very late, following my boys who were still playing in the World Series of Poker. It's a good thing I was up late or else I would have missed the 1,500th person to view my blog. I recently wrote about the 400th country/city to view it but this is where the actual 1500th person came from....Coronado, California....hence the crown. It's a nice play on words there and perfect for this blog and this little "coronation" ceremony I'm having.

When I saw the number on my counter was approaching 1500, I thought for sure it would probably be someone either from Europe or the West Coast because of the time difference. Little did I know, when I wrote about my girlfriend JoAnn yesterday, that people would come out of the woodwork reading my blog about her and that's obviously why I got so many visitors yesterday. And JoAnn actually has friends who leave comments (unlike myself) because a few of them did so and I enjoyed reading them. And then JoAnn's daughter Laura linked my blog to her blog http://laurakurz.typepad.com/ (one of the most enjoyable blogs I've ever read) and all of Laura's friends are finding their way here to read about her mother. Well, no matter how they find their way here, I welcome them.

Now back to Coronado. It is a city in San Diego County, so right away I know it's in a beautiful place. The population is about 24,000. Coronado is Spanish for "the crowned one" and thusly it is nicknamed The Crown City. Coronado is a peninsula connected to the mainland by a many miles long strip of land called the Silver Strand. The Navy still operates the Naval Air Station North Island on Coronado and it's well-known as the training area for Navy Seals. In 1969, The San Diego-Coronado Bridge was opened allowing much faster transit between the cities. Here's a great picture of that bridge.

Coronado is also home to the famous Hotel del Coronado, built in 1888 and long considered one of the world's top resorts. It is listed as a National Historic Landmark and appeared in films such as Some Like It Hot and The Stunt Man, and was the setting of the Dashboard Confessional song Stolen.

So that is your history/geography lesson for today. I don't think I'd quite enjoy my blog, as much as I do, if I didn't have the counter located on the upper right. It just makes it so much fun to see all the daily visitors. I'd like to thank JoAnn and Laura for bringing in those new viewers from places near and far. I'll be back again to announce the 2,000th visitor whenever that happens.

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

hmmm.......this would probably be Laura's friend Laura C., whose husband is a Navy pilot. (Tall) Laura (mine) met (short) Laura when they lived in Norman, Oklahoma where their husbands were both stationed. No ocean in OKLA, right? They were stationed at Tinker Air Force Base where they flew these GIANT surveillance-type planes.

Laura's other friend near Coronado is her Lehigh friend "Molly Marine", who got married in May and is right now flying a Super Stallion helicopter helping to fight the fires in N. California. Little tiny Molly flying that giant helicopter!