Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII 2009




Last year, my team, the NY Giants, was in the Super Bowl so it made it much more exciting for me as I had a vested interest in the game. This year, the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Arizona Cardinals take the field and it really doesn't matter to me which team wins. But, I'm going to root for Arizona because I'd like to see the underdog win. This is the first year in awhile that Michael will actually be home with us to watch the game. I remember last year he was in Brazil at the time and was text messaging us throughout the entire game for updates.

To make the game a little bit more exciting, I entered a pool that's run by one of my brother's friends so I'll let you know how I doing throughout this blog entry. This is how it works. If the score at any point has these numbers in it at the same time, I win some money.

Pittsburgh 0 Arizona 9 Pittsburgh 8 Arizona 9

So, for instance, if the score at any point is Pittsburgh 20, Arizona 19, I win. If it is Pittsburgh 38, Arizona, 29, I win. Or any combination of those numbers.

The game is now over and I didn't win anything!!!

I will be updating this throughout the entire game and, like I did last year, will be giving you my thoughts on the game BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER.....including my picks for favorite commercials. So get your snacks ready and let the game begin.

As I'm sitting here waiting for the game to begin, I found some interesting trivia that I thought you might find interesting. Here's what voters think the Top 10 Football Movies are:

1. Remember The Titans
2. Rudy (clearly should have been #1)
3. Brian's Song (who doesn't remember those words...I Love You Brian Piccolo)
4. The Longest Yard
5. We Are Marshall
6. Invincible
7. Friday Night Lights (a personal favorite and now my favorite TV show)
8. Any Given Sunday
9. North Dallas Forty
10. Jerry Maguire (You had me at "hello")

BEFORE:

The pre-game show has begun with Faith Hill singing God Bless America.....what a voice!! This is followed by the entire crew, from US Air Flight #1549, who helped save all of the passengers on the plane when it crash landed into the Hudson River. That was pretty special. Then Jennifer Hudson sings the National Anthem. This is her first appearance since her mother, brother and nephew were murdered last October. I think it was better than Whitney's performance although Michael and Bob disagreed with me.

DURING:

End of 1st Quarter -- Pittsburgh 10 Arizona 0

End of 2nd Quarter -- Pittsburgh 17 Arizona 7

HALFTIME SHOW:

I think it's about time that there's been a good halftime show. Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band put on a great show. He's definitely beginning to show his age as evidenced by his voice. When he kept pointing the microphone at the audience so that they could sing the chorus, I was thinking he was doing that because he couldn't keep up. My only disappointment was that they didn't sing Born In the USA.

End of 3rd Quarter -- Pittsburgh 20 Arizona 7

Final Score -- Pittsburgh 27 Arizona 23

At the beginning of the game, I thought Pittsburgh was going to trounce Arizona but, in the end, Arizona held their own and almost won.

So here's what you've really been waiting for.....the commercial winners.

Doritos -- This was so funny when they throw a water globe into a vending machine.

Budweiser -- Conan O'Brien thinking he's filming a commercial that will only be shown in Sweden.

Budweiser -- The dalmation fetches a bone and the Clydesdale outdoes him by fetching a huge tree branch....this was my favorite!!

Budweiser -- Two horses in love....one in the circus and one a Clydesdale.

Once again, Budweiser is the clear winner commercial-wise. There was one commercial that was so irritating and that was career builder.com. It gets your attention but is so annoying that you vow never to use the site.

So that's the end of another Super Bowl. No Giants but still a great game. There's always next year. Until then.....

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

That Career Builder ad - I thought it would never end! SOOO annoying

I thought Springsteen was awful. All he did was scream. And he hit so many flat notes. Does he always perform like this? He would not have gotten past round 1 of American Idol!

I also thought the Budweiser ads were great...but loved the Pedigree one too. "Maybe you should have gotten a dog". LOL

They sure kept it quiet that the USAir crew was going to be appearing.

I am with you on the movies.... my faves are Rudy, Friday Night Lights, Brian's Song, Invincible (Bob was in this), Jerry Maguire....

Whatever the result of this game....it sure was exciting.