Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Oscars



So tonight's the presentation of the 81st Annual Academy Awards better known to most as The Oscars. Usually I try to see most of the nominated films prior to the telecast but this year I was only able to see one and that was Slumdog Millionaire.

For some reasons, The Oscars came upon me much too quickly this year. All of the plans we had to go to the movies either got foiled by bad weather or laziness. So I can't even make my usual predictions like I did this year. What I'll do instead is say who I'd like to win which doesn't necessarily mean they deserve to win.

Regardless of who wins and loses, however, the show is well worth watching if for no other reason than to watch Hugh Jackman, People Magazine's Sexiest Man of the Year. He's so talented having appeared both in movies and on Broadway and I don't think it will be too much of a stretch to see him singing and dancing on the stage this evening.

The Oscars are usually so boring and I'm hoping that Jackman will infuse some life into the show. And if it starts in any way to get political, this viewer will be changing the channel. This is one thing I can't stand about these award shows....having to listen to all of these actors and actresses spouting their political views. Who cares who you voted for and how you sway? I clearly don't. I'm watching to be entertained not to be preached to.

So with that said, here are my predictions:

Best Actor -- Mickey Rourke (who doesn't like a comeback story)(I was wrong on this one)
Best Actress -- Kate Winslet (it's about time)
Best Actor Supporting Role -- Heath Ledger (what a shame he's not here)
Best Actress in a Supporting Role -- Marisa Tomei (wrong again)
Best Director -- Danny Boyle
Best Picture -- Slumdog Millionaire

And in order to get to the above awards, we'll have to sit through all of these....

Animated Feature Film
Art Direction
Cinematography
Costume Design
Documentary Feature
Documentary Short
Film Editing
Foreign Language Film
Makeup
Musical Score
Musical Song
Short Film (Animated)
Short Film (Live Action)
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Visual Effects
Screenplay (Adaptation)
Screenplay (Original)

But as boring as these awards will probably be, these are the people who really make it work....the unsung heroes who are behind the scenes. So I try to make sure not to leave the TV when their moment of fame is announced. It's only fair that all should witness their achievements as well as those who were paid millions and millions and millions of dollars to be in these films.

The real highlight for me, however, is the red carpet show. This is where you can see who's wearing what and who's with whom. I used to enjoy watching the Barbara Walters' special right before The Oscars but lately she's just so full of herself that I can hardly bear to watch her. So I think I'll stick to the "E" Network's show the entire time until the actual award show begins. Here's hoping all of your predictions come true.

So here's the update:

I thought it was one of the best Oscar's I've seen in years. Hugh Jackman was amazing and so comfortable in his role as host. He also did a song and dance number in the middle of the show with Beyonce that was off the charts.

One of my favorite changes was having past winners say a little something about the nominees. I actually had tears in my eyes during some of these. It was better than just seeing a film clip showing their performances.

I don't think there were any real "standouts" as far as clothing goes. They all looked good but nothing really stood out to me as amazing.

I felt sorry for Mickey Rourke that he didn't win but many people felt Sean Penn was going to win anyway.

I think they should probably sign Hugh Jackman up as a lifetime host....he was that good!!!

No comments: