Friday, January 2, 2009

The "L" Word = Linda



When I moved to PA from NY twenty-two years ago, it was very hard because not only was I leaving all of my family but I was leaving all of my friends as well. When you're already in your thirties, what are the chances of finding some other really, really good friends? You might make some acquaintances, which I did in the first years of living here, but can you be lucky enough to find another friendship that will last your lifetime?

I did make some immediate friends but, except for Pat, they had all come and gone. I think I was living here at least twelve years when someone, who had been there all along, became another best friend and is in that special class I like to refer to as the BFON8.....that's right.....Best Friends of Nancy 8....that means there's eight of them.

When I regularly started posting on my blog again last year, it was January 22nd. So I had already missed one of my best friends' birthdays. Actually, at that time, I didn't even know I was going to write about my friends on their special days. Pat's birthday was in March so she was the first one I wrote about and that's how it all began.

My friend Linda has waited almost an entire year for her turn and that day is finally here as it's her birthday. Where do I begin to tell the story of how great a friend can be.....where do I start? I know, I know, you might recognize some of these words from the Love Story theme song but I'd like to think of this as a Friend Story. We actually lived on the same street about seven doors down from each other for about twenty years. Since Linda has been married FOREVER, her kids were older than Michael so I really didn't run across her in the schools or sports programs. I knew her in the neighborhood, and liked her, but we hung with different groups so our paths didn't cross that often. I'm trying to remember exactly when it was that we became friends....a friendship that would eventually lead to best friends.

It goes back to my joining (or being permitted to enter) an already existing bookgroup. I say "being permitted to enter" in jest because Linda always jokes about the fact that the existing members had a vote on it and, thanks to her, I was admitted. She likes to tease me about this.

With this bookgroup, we got involved in other social activites directly related to the group. If we read a book that was eventually turned into a movie, then we all went to see the movie. We once read a book about Vermeer and the group ended up going to the Vermeer exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. So we ended up spending a lot more time together than just a three hour book group meeting once a month. That's how it all started. Then I started walking on a daily basis and Linda decided that she would do it as well. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that in order to walk with someone everyday, you had better like them. At this point, I liked her so much that I actually looked forward to our walks each day.

As I'm thinking about these walks right now, I'm actually laughing because Linda has the habit of starting to talk about something and going off on another whole tangent before I make her get back to what she was originally starting to tell me. When we're together, we don't shut up for one second. And as much of a talker Linda is, she is actually an even better listener. We've told each other things that we probably wouldn't have dared tell anyone else. And if her husband Jim is reading this, forget about it......I'm not telling you anything!!! It's girl stuff anyway.

Sometimes, we can't even finish our thoughts because we're laughing so hard. The bottom line is that I just love being with her. But, I have to share her with so many people as her husband demands so much of her time. lol She also has a beautiful daughter who just gave birth to her fourth child and Linda definitely holds the record as the best grandmother in the entire world.

Linda is that rare breed of woman who is so real.....there's nothing put on about her. She's generous to a fault....especially with her time. She goes out of her way to help people and usually ends up getting burned in the long run but she's still there always willing to lend a helping hand whenever it's needed. Sometimes I beg her to stop putting herself out there so much but it's her nature.

She's now moved out of my neighborhood but is still less than a mile away from my house. We still spend a lot of time having our nails done along with pedicures, going to the movies, going to lunch and shopping. But it never seems to be enough since we always have so much to say whenever we see each other. We talk about going away to one of those "health farms" together but we probably would spend more time gabbing than learning how to live more healthy.

We both treasure the day that we found each other so late in life. I can honestly say if she wasn't in my life, it would be such a loss for me. So Linda, on this your birthday, I honor you as one of the best friends I've ever had. And if Jim thinks he's going to cut into our time together once he retires, he's got another thing coming. That is unless, of course, he plans on getting pedicures with us. I know I've spent time joking about Jim but as lucky as he is to have Linda, Linda is just as lucky to have him. What a wonderful pair they are. That should be her best birthday present of all.

Happy birthday my dearest friend, my forever friend, my best friend forever....I love you!!! As the Jerry Vale song goes, "I count all the charms about Linda." And there are many!!

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

While you are lucky to have such a wonderful friend as Linda, she is equally lucky to have YOU as a friend.

Happy birthday, Linda!

Anonymous said...

Dear Nancy: I had left an earlier response, but you know me and my computer skills.....it hasn't shown up!! So...I will try again. Other than Jim, these are the kindest, most thoughtful things anyone has ever said about me, let alone printed them out for all to read. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Please know that I treasure you and our friendship and always will. At my advanced age, let's hope we have many more years to have fun together. You have a special way with words, one of your many talents, and they have made my "year". Thank you. Love you too. Linda