Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day 2008


So today is Labor Day......a federal holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September. The holiday originated in 1882 when the Central Labor Union of New York City sought to create "a day off for the working citizens." Two years later, Congress made Labor Day a federal holiday and all fifty states have made it a state holiday. That definitely makes it a day off for everyone.

Growing up, Labor Day was always a big deal in our house as my father was affiliated with the unions. As the Secretary Treasurer of the Bookbinders Union, which later became known as the Graphic Arts Union, he was always involved in a Labor Day parade. I remember him leaving the house with his suit on and the little flag in his lapel. I don't think there was anyone who loved a parade more than my father. I wish I had some pictures to post of him parading around with the labor unions. We used to call him a "big shot." One of the good things about a parade, in his eyes, was that they usually ended up at the Beekman Pub for a beer or two or three before heading on home.

When I think of Labor Day, not only do I think of those parades and Rosie the Riveter and Norma Rae, but it usually brings to mind that the summer is over, school is beginning and you can no longer wear white. I remember growing up and putting my white shoes and sandals away just knowing that I wouldn't see them again until next summer. I think the fashion "rules" have become a little more lax now but it's ingrained in me that it would be taboo to break this rule. I remember when Katie Couric started her new job as the CBS anchor on the evening news. The big news story wasn't that she did a great job. The story was that she wore a white jacket after Labor Day. By the way, and for anyone who's interested, the jacket happened to be "winter white", which is acceptable, and, more importantly, it was Armani.

Labor Day weekend also brings to mind that the baseball season will be ending and football will soon begin. The trees will start changing and the air will become more crisp. It's the sign of a new season to come.....the season of Fall which means one great thing to me.......cashmere turtle neck sweaters. I love living in a part of the country where there are four distinct seasons. I couldn't imagine wearing the same kind of clothes all year round.

So for all you laborers out there, enjoy your restful day. And for you Dad, have a beer on me and toast all those parades you walked in and all those people you cared for as you fought the battle to make sure they were all dealt with fairly. You will always be my favorite "Labor Day Guy."

No comments: