Thursday, September 18, 2008

Babysitting 101


Last Friday, or was it two Fridays ago, (very behind on my blog entries), we got to babysit for our first grandchild. Liz and Bryan had a wedding to go to in Pennsylvania on a Friday night so we were going to watch Brady while they were there. She arrived at about 1PM and it probably took her 1/2 hour just to unload the car. I cannot believe all the contraptions they now sell for babies. When Michael was born, it was just a crib or a playpen. Now it's portable cribs and Moses baskets and bumpy seats and boppy pillows and Bugaboo strollers and she brought it all here with her. All to make sure the baby didn't cry.

Well guess what, I didn't need any of that paraphenalia. He just didn't cry at all the entire time he was here. He's such a sweet little baby and does what he's supposed to do. He eats, he stays awake for awhile and then he goes to sleep. After his dinner feeding, I took him for a walk outside and he definitely likes to get some air as that knocked him out for about five hours.

Before Liz left for the wedding, she gave me a list of everything I was supposed to do. I did remind her that I've already done this before but you know how new mothers are. Speaking of Liz, she looks great. She's already lost all of the weight she gained while pregnant (this was in less than three weeks after birth) and some. Here's a picture of her and Bryan before they left for the wedding. I love it that she looks so great already. No one at the wedding could believe she had just given birth less than three weeks before.

The funniest part of the babysitting was Belle's reaction to the baby. She didn't know what was going on. She would sniff him and go right up close to him not sure if he was alive or not. Then if you were holding him and he made any kind of noise, she would come very close almost like she was making sure you weren't hurting him. I remember when Michael was born and we had our Irish Setter Corky at the time, Corky became very protective of him. I have a feeling that Belle felt the same way about Brady.

They came home about eight hours later and they couldn't wait to get their hands on him. After changing their clothes, they made a "Love" sandwich of him. Just in case any of you aren't aware of this, their last name is Love so it works for everything.

So I think we passed the babysitting test. I hope they have a lot more weddings or social things that they have to attend in PA so we get to do it again real soon.

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

So glad you passed the test! I am sure you got an A+++

All of that baby crap....however did we do without it? LOL LOL

It's all in the marketing. Lots of people getting very rich.

L,J