Monday, March 26, 2007

Dear Oprah,


Guess what?? I have my own Gayle except her name is Pat. Every time I see the two of you on your road trips, it makes me laugh because I've been there, done that and laughed as hard as you do each time. My Gayle, however, doesn't sing in the car so there is some saving grace for me.

Our most recent roadtrip was to Foxwoods in Connecticut to play in a WSOP Ladies' Event. There were no vacancies at Foxwoods so we were forced to stay at a Marriott in Mystic, Connecticut. If that town rings a bell to you, you're correct in remembering the site of Julia Roberts' famous movie, Mystic Pizza. And yes, we did stop there for a slice of pie while Pat asked all of the waitresses if they were there when Julie filmed that movie.......almost twenty years ago. I have to say that this little hole in the wall of a restaurant was quite a find as the food was exceptional.

I did fare better in the Foxwoods' tournament than I did at Caesars finishing somewhere in the 80's.....I think 50 got paid. Whether we get paid or not, we so enjoy going to these events. Foxwoods really did it up big and had a buffet table full of food and drinks during the entire tournament. Now that we've played in three live tournaments, we're starting to recognize some of the other ladies and feel quite at home. When it got down to less than ten tables (I think we started with over fifty tables), they cordoned off the area and spectators could watch behind the ropes. Pat had already gotten knocked out earlier and, needless to say, she was chatting up everyone as she watched me. At one point, I'm sitting there with a pair of Kings in my hand waiting for my turn to make a move. I could hear most of the conversations going on behind me and one just had me cracking up. Pat asked the girl standing next to her who she was watching and the girl pointed to another girl at my table and said, "That's my partner." In return, she asked Pat who she was watching and Pat pointed to me and said, "That's my girlfriend over there" to which the girl replied, "How long have you two been together?" Well, I almost dropped my cards I was laughing so hard. Pat quickly realized her faux pax and explained that we were both married. We have since told this story to all of our friends and we all chalk it up to what we call another "Patism".

So we left Foxwoods with another tournament under our belts and a lot of laughs to be remembered. I might also add that Pat physically removed (or should I say stole) one of the tournament posters which now hangs framed in our office as a reminder of all the laughs we had and the plans we're making to go back in 2008.

1 comment:

pat k. said...

Hi Nancy,
I think your blog is very interesting but I do disagree with your report on the Grammy's. I loved Herbie Hancock doing the Gerswin song Rhapsody in Blue. Tina Turner was fabulous. The grammy's are for young and old. I thought it was great. Pat K.