Sunday, March 15, 2009

I Finally Did It!!!!!


Yesterday I cashed in my first ever live poker tournament. It all happened at the WSOP Circuit Event at Caesars in Atlantic City. It was the Ladies' No Limit Hold'em Event and 263 ladies participated. Out of the 263 who entered, only 27 would get paid.....I came in 11th place which was only one place away from making the final table. My reward for this win, a whopping $631.00. The winner took home $16,000. As much as the money is always nice to get, it's just so rewarding to make it that far and to "almost" make it all the way.

I made the trip to Atlantic City all on my own as Pat had to help her son move into his new apartment. But, since I've play in a number of these tournaments already, I have come to know a number of the other women who play so I didn't feel uncomfortable at all going by myself. I remember the first few tournaments I played in and feeling so nervous and intimidated. Now I'm not nervous at all and really feel quite confident when I play. It must be all the good tutoring I get from Michael and his friends.

I've become friends with one of the girls I met while playing in the Borgata tournament so she and I were meeting for breakfast at 10:30AM before starting the tournament at noon. She (Diane Grippo) actually final tabled one of the Borgata events a year ago and cashed in the Ladies' event at the WSOP this past summer. I told her in person and in emails prior to the tournament that "I WILL CASH IN THIS EVENT" and so I did.

It was an exciting time at Caesars yesterday because not only was the Ladies' event being held but it was also the final table of the $5,000 buyin main event that had started on Thursday and was ending on Saturday. I was happy to be there because a boy I had met, while playing in the Deepstack tournament at the Borgata last year, was at the final table. His name is Chris Klodnicki and he also came in 12th place at the Main Event of the WSOP this past year so he's definitely the real deal. By the way, he won the Borgata Deepstack tournament we played in together. I always kid him that I'm his good luck charm and he agrees, so I thought for sure my being there yesterday would clearly insure his win. Unfortunately it was not to be and he came in 7th place.

I met another nice boy there, Sam Chartier, (I use the term "boy" very loosely as these boys are in their early twenties) who was from Montreal and was friends with a boy who was at the final table with Michael in Monte Carlo (Maxime Villemure). Sam ended up winning the event at Caesars for $331,000 and I was so happy for him. I just love meeting all of these young poker players and I especially love picking their brains. Since they all know I'm Michael's Mom, they are very forthcoming with advice and I so appreciate this. One must admit that I know all of the cutest (and richest) poker players!! Ha, ha.

So, all in all, it was a fun day for me....playing live poker, meeting some new friends and winning some money!!!

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

be still my heart. I was reading this too fast and thought you won $631,000!!!

No matter the amount, congrats. Sounds like you had a great time!
L,J

TheReader23 said...

Believe me, if I had won that amount, you would have heard it by telephone before reading it in my blog!!!