Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Happy 21st Birthday Melissa!!!!


Today is my niece's 21st birthday. Not only is she my niece but she is also my godchild. Melissa was born in Connecticut to my brother Kelly and his wife Barbara. They moved around a bit as a result of my brother's job with Kraft General Foods but settled in Naperville, Illinois when Melissa was young.

She's a senior in college right now but spent most of her high school years playing soccer and was even given the nickname "Boomer" because she scored so many goals. She was my brother Kelly's little athlete. Practically every picture I have of Melissa growing up shows her in her soccer uniform.

Her one wish when she turned 21 was to spend it in Las Vegas so, needless to say, my brother made sure her wish came true. Her entire family is there with her right now along with some cousins, aunts, uncles and her grandmother. We have always referred to my brother Kelly as a "wheeler and dealer" so this request was right up his alley. They're staying at the Wynn Encore and Kelly already texted me telling me how beautiful it is. My only regret is that I'm not there with them. Here's a picture of Melissa with her sister and two cousins....From left to right...Melissa, Ryan (my brother Bobby's son and also my godchild), Tracy (Melissa's sister) and Brendan (my brother Michael's son and also my godchild by personal request).

Celebrating a 21st birthday in Las Vegas was also something I did with Michael when he turned 21 so I think she might be following in his footsteps. I just remember having the greatest time there on that vacation and I'm sure Melissa is going to have as much fun as he did on that trip.

I bought Melissa a special present for her 21st birthday.....a Michael Kors watch. Michael Kors is her favorite designer so I knew she would love this. I made sure my brother had a picture taken of her opening up her gift. I know it's not as good as a trip to Vegas but I bet it runs a close second. I bought her the one with the white chain link band because this seems to be so "in" right now. I hope I picked the right one. This isn't the clearest picture of Melissa with her new watch but it serves the purpose.

Because they've lived so far away from us, I haven't gotten to spend as much time with Melissa as I would have liked but have watched her grow up through pictures and their few visits here back east. She really has grown into a beautiful young woman and I'm very proud of her.

So Melissa, here's a great big 21st birthday wish from your Aunt Nancy. I'm sure it's going to be great having your very first "legal" drink.

Enjoy.






1 comment:

JoAnn said...

What a nice birthday blog for Melissa.

L,J