Thursday, July 9, 2009

OMG -- I LOVE "BIG BROTHER"



There is no show on TV that I look forward to more than the new season of Big Brother. Tonight began Season 11 and I've actually been counting the days off until it started again.

One of the things I like the most is the motto of the show, "Expect The Unexpected", so that every season is different than the season before. And, unlike other reality shows like Survivor, Big Brother is on three times a week. But that's not even enough viewing to know what's really going on in the house because the show is edited so much that unless you follow the houseguests more than the three times it's on during the week, you will only get to see what the producers want you to see.

So last year, Showtime started three hour live coverage beginning at midnight and ending at 3AM. Oh no, there's no way I can miss that so now I end up losing sleep watching this additional coverage. Thank goodness for DVR's because I'm able to tape what I miss when I fall asleep in the middle of it.

And then CBS also has a live feed that you can purchase where you can watch it 24/7 if you like. Last year I swore I wouldn't do this because I spent too much time the summer before watching these houseguests (or hamsters as they are referred to) 'round the clock. But midway through the show, I caved in and started watching it whenever I got a free minute.

Yesterday, I was on the phone with Michael and reminded him that Big Brother was coming on this week. His response was, "Don't tell me you're going to be watching this on the computer all the time." He knows me too well. It's a good thing I don't have an IPhone because I'd probably be able to watch this when I'm away from the house and away from my computer. Usually this is on while we're at the shore during the summer so I'm spending vacation time watching it. This year, we won't be at the shore so I might not have as much time as I've had in the past to watch it.

One unfortunate thing is that none of my friends watch this show so I can't call them up to talk about it. I tried calling Pat today to get her to watch it but she couldn't be coerced. Linda won't watch it because if it's something Jim doesn't want to watch, we're out of luck. She has enough of a problem trying to catch some of the "Housewives" episodes when he's not around since he won't watch that either.

Tonight they introduced the twelve new houseguests and divided them into four groups....the popular ones, the brainiacs, the athletes and the offbeats. They likened it to being in high school and the cliques these people were probably in during that time. It should be interesting.

One of the new twists was bringing a past houseguest back into the house to compete. There was a chance that my favorite houseguest of all time, Jessica, could get back in but the "popular" group had to win the challenge in order for this to happen. Instead the "athletes" won and Jessie, the bodybuilder, got to go back in. If Jessica had gotten to go back into the house, it would have been a dream season for me. It still will be but to dangle a carrot like that and then to have it slip away is downright cruel to a true Big Brother fan.

So right now, it's about 10PM and I've seen the first episode and there are only two hours to go before the Showtime coverage begins. I say, "Let The Season Begin". I'm in my glory!!!! I just wish I had some friends to share this with but, since I don't, I will regale all of you blogger readers with my Big Brother coverage. I think, however, that Michael will come through for me because he always ends up watching it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy, you know I love it too!! Hate that Jessie is in the house (I was cheering for Brian or Jessica) but don't think he will be there long. You know that you and I can ALWAYS chat about BB!!

Kim

Linda said...

Nancy: Jim is a sweetheart. You know I am permitted to watch anything and everything "He" wants to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Linda